There are new reports, almost daily, on the consequences of drinking coffee as well as the benefits. As a recent Green Tea drinker, I am open for discussion and always willing to listen and learn, however this is what I know to be true:
- Coffee stimulates the central nervous system, heart, and respiratory system.
- Coffee drinking increases the secretion of acid in the stomach, which can cause stomach upset and ulcers.
- Coffee drinking can inhibit absorption of some nutrients, particularly iron, and can cause such nutrients as calcium, magnesium, and sodium to be flushed from the body.
- Possible links between caffeine and disease: bladder cancer in men, breast cancer in women, and birth defects (when taken by pregnant women).
- Caffeine causes a large amount of sugar to be released into the bloodstream. The pancreas reacts by releasing an excessive amount of insulin. The blood-sugar level then falls below the normal level, producing some unpleasant symptoms.
- Caffeine can cause chromosomes in the cell nucleus to break apart. Sometimes the genes are rearranged by the toxin.
- Coffee is pure acid. A healthy body maintains a blood pH at around 7.3. Coffee is 5.1 on the pH scale. This much acid massively disturbs the central balance of your cells.